Friday, June 25, 2010

Free to be me again!

I'm sure many of you know what I mean when I say that my Facebook page has taken on a life of it's own. It's cluttered with people I don't know, my parents' friends, people begging me to fan them, etc., etc.

The fact that we run most of our business through Facebook only makes matters worse. Every week I have newbie photographers and Radiant fans friending me in hopes that I can help them build their business or give them a discount on their wedding photography one day. I feel like my entire life is in the public eye and that my business is being built on that persona of me that is being put out there. I'm not complaining about that too much because we've purposely set things up that way, it's only when I want to separate my personal life from my business (which is very necessary for me to be a healthy person) that I run into the problem. And at the rate I'm going, it looks like it won't be long before my friend list consists more of people I don't know than people I do and this problem will continue to grow!

The biggest reason I've had an issue with this is because one thing I know about myself is that I need a creative outlet that is my own. Right now everything I'm saying, producing, etc. is for the purpose of pleasing others or promoting my business. My already excessive people pleasing tendancies are on full alert and I'm tired. I really want a place where I can relax and be myself. Not to mention a place where I can connect with my REAL friends to find out what's going on in their lives.

I am totally hurting and I have been feeling very isolated and disconnected from the people I really care about. So my meager attempt to remedy some of that is to use the friend list feature on Facebook (that I just found out exists) to limit who sees every little detail on my page. This means that even my friends can be more free to be themselves on my page as well because they don't have to worry that their old kindergarten sunday school teacher will reprimand them for what they say (or something like that)! So I'm hoping that taking this step will deepen the level of interactions on my page as a whole (or at least make them happen with people I know!). Don't worry, my next step is to actually start seeing the people I care about in real life too!

Another part of this is that my personal blog has been on hold for a long time and in the past that has been a huge tool for my personal growth and for my relationships. It's been connected to my Facebook page so I no longer feel free to be honest on it and it's just felt like another avenue to use to sell myself on. Now that I know who's
seeing the post when I update it, I can feel free to be myself again! So take note, if you saw the post about this blog on Facebook... you're one of the chosen! Even if I've never met you in real life, if I've left you on the list it means I think I would really like you if I we ever did meet!

So if this work then... Breezy's back!
P.S. If you want to use friend lists, just go into your friends, create new lists (like tags), add everyone to at least one list, then go into your privacy settings and customize who can see what. It takes a long time, but it's totally worth it!

No comments: